These beautiful hand-built pottery is by the Aboriginal Arrernte people of Central Australia at Hermannsburg, west of Alice Springs on the Finke River. The Hermannsburg Potters is a unique and significant art center that is internationally known for their unique collection of lidded pots made using the traditional hand-coil technique and decorated with owls, birds, animals and landscapes in bright colors.
"The strong history of Hermannsburg visual culture and story-telling, the Hermannsburg Potters have developed a highly original and distinctive ceramic art practice, which, through savvy marketing and innovation, has become internationally renowned". You can learn about the artists and read about the history of Hermannsburg here.
The vessels shown above:
1. Owl, MacDonnell Ranges, The Hermannsburg Potters
2. Brolga, Artist: Judith Pungkarta Inkamala
3. Cockatoo, Artist: Rona Panangka Rubuntja
4. Owl, Artist: Lindy Rontji
5. Kookaburra, Artist: Lindy Rontji
6. Pink Galashs at Imarlkna, Artist: Judith Pungarta Inkamala
7. Owl, Artist: Rahel Kngwarria Ungwanaka